Why Apache is still the Leading Web Server Software
If you are in the IT business, you probably have experience with server software and the name Apache is very well known. However, is it the best choice or are there other considerations? Let's take a closer look at server software, what it is and why Apache SSL is still so very popular.
What is a Web Server?
The entire Internet is made up of many computers. They contain software programs called servers because they serve a wide range of files to users. This is done through hypertext transfer protocol. When you go online you are requesting information or files from a server computer. This is why website addresses begin with "HTTP".
When you visit a website, you are communicating with the software serving the website. In fact, servers are the main architecture of the Internet as they are all in communication with each other. Most servers are using Apache server software today.
Since the early days of the World Wide Web, Apache has been in use (1995). In fact, this server software became the major force in the Internet as early as 1996. One of the most important reasons for its popularity, is its open source format.
The Benefits of Open Source
Most people understand the fact that open source programs are free to use. However, they are not the same as freeware or shareware. Freeware is a program created by a developer who does not charge for it. Shareware is trial software. You can use it for a specified amount of time and then you are expected to pay for it.
Open source software is created by a community of developers and anyone can access the code. This allows for many minds to come together on one program. Many open source programs are powerful and have innovative features. In fact, open source is one of the truly "free" things in the world today, because these programs benefit everyone they touch and ask for no payment in return. This has created exceptional programs like Apache SSL, Comodo One, VLC Media Player, Open Office, Linux, Ubuntu and many more.
Choices with Apache SSL
Apache offers an HTTP server and a version called Tomcat. The HTTP server is very popular and does not support Java servlets, but Tomcat does.
Benefits of Apache Tomcat
- Serves websites using Java applications
- Basic server functions make it fast and easy to use.
- Open source just like the HTTP server version
- Can be customized - this makes it very flexible.
- May be run behind an additional firewall program for added security
Aside from the free price tag you can enjoy a wide range of benefits. For example:
- Over 20 years in existence - Apache is one of the most stable and reliable server programs you can use. There have been many updates and tweaks to provide the server and user with the best possible experience.
- Versatile - do you have a Linux OS? If so there are no problems. However, you can also run Apache HTTP on Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Frequent updates - the software is still maintained on a regular basis. This ensures you will not have to deal with serious security issues or bugs.
- Unlimited licenses - no matter how many machines you have there is never a charge for licensing Apache SSL.
- Support - because it is so widespread you can find all kinds of assistance with any problems you are having. Apache has a long history and a great deal of documented information is readily available.
- Plenty of server features - you have a wide range of options with Apache HTTP.
- Apache SSL support - secure sockets layer security
- Supports virtual hosting
- Most used server software - nearly half of all servers are running Apache HTTP and if you add Tomcat, there are about 55 percent of servers using Apache SSL server software.
Apache SSL Issues
If you are running HTTP or Tomcat you will have few problems with Comodo certificates. Comodo offers easy to understand assistance for SSL installation on Apache server software. In fact, it's as simple as downloading, installing and running the utility we provide.
You can be up and running and install Apache SSL certificates on your Apache server in just a few minutes time. In fact, Comodo has an extensive knowledge base of information ready to serve you. We are the number one SSL certificate authority in the world and you can visit our website today at https://www.instantssl.com to see all the exceptional offers we have for you. You are also free to call 1-888-266-6361 for more information.